Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Growing a Bankroll in 2014 - MTTs and SNGs.

Old
Question
Growing a Bankroll in 2014 - MTTs and SNGs. - Tue Oct 07, 2014, 04:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
How would you go about growing a bankroll in these two ranges: $200-300, and $300-500?

The goal is to be sufficiently rolled for micro MTTs, but SNGs can form part of the grind for bankrolling up. (Cash isn't preferred).

Within SNGs, which of the following would be better STT or MTTs, Fifty50 or Knockout?

Would you rather play Regular or Turbos?

Additionally, are 180-man too high variance so that limiting yourself to 45-man or 90-man max is better?

For MTTs, how would you split your existing Bankroll and Session Bankroll among normal MTTs and those where taking a shot?

Are the Capped MTTs worth adding to the grind?

Last edited by Nataraj1; Tue Oct 07, 2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 12:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
With 300 play 2.50$ 180man turbos. Or if you have an edge start at three fiddy with 350$. Fwiw i would stick with sng mtts until 1k, then i would start playing up to 5$ MTTs.
Turbos has lower rake imo, regular tourneys probably has lower variance, however not by a huge margin, becausr there are more regs in there hence the edges are smaller.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 12:35 AM
(#3)
Thanks man. What would you run it up with from $200? I like the note about variance and the regs, must be taken into account for sure.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 02:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
sorry I answered this on your other thread!!

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 02:51 AM
(#5)
This is a very interesting thread! I happen to be in the same situation as Nataraj1. I prefer MTTs over anything, I am trying to build a BR thru mtts. I had to withdraw over the summer, but some recent rungood and spin good (hehe) have me in the 500 range. And I don't really know where to aim in moving up. I used to grind $1 Sng mtts, mtts 1.10 and under with the occasional 2.20, and a few shots here and there.
Ive been playing a little bit of everything (that is every tourney 3.30 and under that looked interesting) since I score on the wheel saturday but im a little bit lost right now.
I have time to grind almost every day working part time atm. but i dont know what to grind. lol

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 02:54 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazYJohnnie View Post
With 300 play 2.50$ 180man turbos. Or if you have an edge start at three fiddy with 350$.
Woudn't 40 buy-ins be a little bit agressive br managament to grind turbos. The little sample that a have played, the variance looks crazy!

and what exactly are three fiddys?

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 03:55 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrdr View Post
Woudn't 40 buy-ins be a little bit agressive br managament to grind turbos. The little sample that a have played, the variance looks crazy!

and what exactly are three fiddys?
300$/2,50$=120 BI imo, no? For recreational player 120 buy-ins should do the trick

Tree fiddy=3.50$ lol

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 04:01 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataraj1 View Post
Thanks man. What would you run it up with from $200? I like the note about variance and the regs, must be taken into account for sure.
Dunno from 200 i would play combined 1.50$/1$ 18-90 mans. However, STT 6max turbos could also be a good alternative if u get bored with the grind + it helps you on FT play.
Then again what do i know, i have never exercised proper bankroll managementaments and if i were you i would just grind 5NL cash and then reach 300 and go on a tilt and just lose it all at 50NL Zoom lol

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 10:55 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBasher View Post
sorry I answered this on your other thread!!
No prob, WeaselBasher, I am re-posting it here for reference. Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBasher View Post
Well Done Nat !!

I'm not a fan of Cash either, so I suggest mixing it up between SNG and Micro MTT to start with.

My favourite games are MTT Satellites, some offer the chance of a ticket more than in others, but here are a couple of suggestions for you ..

$2.20 Sunday Storm Sat --to win a $11 ticket, 10 Minute Blinds
(either the 36 seat SNG or the MTT- but try and make sure there are , say, more than 25 registered on the MTT side)

$0.55 Sunday Million (Rd 1) Turbo Rebuy-----to win $11 ticket
( set a limit to total outlay of ,say $2.55, the rebuys are .50c but you will need an Addon, same price, so factor that in!)

Try to avoid the 3x rebuys unless you have deeper pockets.....

If you win a ticket just un-register, and if you have a decent run, play in the Event.

Good Luck!

edit, also add the Phase 1 $2.20 Sattie to win an $11 ticket, 10 min blinds, but fewer entries in these generally than the Sunday Storm Satties.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 10:57 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Tree fiddy=3.50$ lol
South Park ref. which went viral.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 12:35 PM
(#11)
Quote:
300$/2,50$=120 BI imo, no? For recreational player 120 buy-ins should do the trick

Tree fiddy=3.50$ lol
My bad, I went to bed last night and I re-thought that post and I realized my math was wrong. But still, I think that 120 buy-ins is risky for a turbo. They really are swingy... I would have no problem playing $2.50 90 man regular speed with a 300 bank roll though.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 12:47 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataraj1 View Post
South Park ref. which went viral.
Sorry, I don't watch SP as much as I used to. Should, though, because every time I watch it I laugh my behind off.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 03:55 PM
(#13)
Quote:
My bad, I went to bed last night and I re-thought that post and I realized my math was wrong. But still, I think that 120 buy-ins is risky for a turbo. They really are swingy... I would have no problem playing $2.50 90 man regular speed with a 300 bank roll though.
Well i agree with you that 120BI might be short for a professional turbo player, but then again i doubt anyone makes a living playing 2.50$ 180 man turbos, unless they live with parents or in bangladesh.
Besides, if he loses that roll playing SOLELY 2.50$, then he probably has some big leaks that need to be fixed. I really doubt that anyone with decent skill in hand reading and pushbotting could ever lose 120 BI, unless they would run very very cold.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 04:08 PM
(#14)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The storm satties are a viable option. Before black Friday, I played a number of them and they were pretty soft. You can then either play the tourney or take as T$ to enter other ones.

For MTT's, the big and bigger 2.20's are what I'd be playing in the $2 buy-in range.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:07 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Sorry, I don't watch SP as much as I used to. Should, though, because every time I watch it I laugh my behind off.
Last one I watched was with Kanye and Kim. Hilarious, you should check it out.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:14 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
The storm satties are a viable option. Before black Friday, I played a number of them and they were pretty soft. You can then either play the tourney or take as T$ to enter other ones.

For MTT's, the big and bigger 2.20's are what I'd be playing in the $2 buy-in range.

John (JWK24)
The big and hotter 2.20 would be cool, but one of them is at 4 a.m. here, so not very practical for now.

I think I will try to do the satellites. Tried a couple of them with WeaselBasher on my left tonight but didn't work for me. Worth other tries.

I think what's missing from my new DB after taking up Poker again is a good view of my performance in SNGs, the reason being that at the end of the first period last year, I think SNGs were what whittled my bankroll down, together with cash, so I haven't been too fond of playing them again, at least the MTT SNG ones. I did play some 18-man, and several STTs.

If I had some fresh stats, then I could use the ROI and ITM% to calculate a Kelly criterion bankroll.

To do that, I would have to micro-sample my performance in the MTT SNGs.

I was thinking to do those in blocks of 4 or 9 of the 45-mans and see what happens.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:25 PM
(#17)
SS Sattie Guide for Nat

Now this is my very brief guide, so don't shoot me down in flames guys, but you are allowed and welcomed to nice, polite input as I am sensitive

10/20, 15/30, 25/50 Blind Levels : Super Tight
limp pairs to set-mine

50/100 Stop limping, see if you can get away with a raise now

100/200 If you are 15 bb or less be aggro, keep stealing and shove all-in in posiition. Watch for shuvin' into big stacko tho, you might get your ass bitten.

Old
Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:40 PM
(#18)
cont...

Weekends are the best time or prime playing times when the fields are bigger than the two we played.

Don't worry about a dwindling stack until you have to really worry,,

You were unlucky not to cash on the second one, so I think you should do a larger sample to see if it is for you

Old
Thu Oct 09, 2014, 12:20 AM
(#19)
https://www.pokerschoolonline.com/ar...orm-Satellites

Andy has a vid. in the Library

Old
Thu Oct 09, 2014, 09:50 AM
(#20)
Nat, I feel like a Challenge, and this thread of yours has inspired me....so I will start my own Challenge, along the lines of discussions on this thread.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com