Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Can I call KQ vs SB shove?

Old
Can I call KQ vs SB shove? - Thu Oct 09, 2014, 01:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $3.30 KO MTT with around 500 runners. 10mins regular blind structure and 3000 starting stack. It also has $0.50 bounty on every player.

Everyone folded to SB and he open shoved, should I call here or fold I have 21BB. Blinds are 40/80.

This is the first time we ever had blind on blind situation with this player, so I have no idea what he does normally like if he steals or raises SB everytime or limps from SB.

Old
Thu Oct 09, 2014, 02:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Adikumar2010!

With 21BB behind, in the BB, I get a shove from the SB with a larger stack.

The key here is the opp’s call stats vs raise stats.

While the opp is loose, they call much more often than they raise. Against a 13% range (their PFR), KQo is a 57-43 dog. If I call, I’m putting half the chips into the pot, so I have basically have a 50% pot equity. This means that not only am I an underdog in the hand, it’s a –EV play to call.

With this being the case, this is a very easy fold, as I will be able to find a better situation later in the tourney to get my chips into.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John(JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com