Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Shove or check ?

Old
Shove or check ? - Sat Oct 11, 2014, 02:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's $22 Saturday Countdown 120 mins Time Tournament and I am in 3rd level (15mins blind level) which means it's still early stages so no need to worry about survival yet.

Should I check or just shove?

I have exactly 20BB and around 5BB is in the pot already.

Old
Sat Oct 11, 2014, 04:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Why would you shove? Think about the range that villains are calling your shove with 20BB deep, think about how you do vs that range? I reckon AK+, TT+? How do 88 do vs that range? Even if some monkey calls with KJ, youre still flipping.

If the villains are passive/tight i better raise here. If you had 10-12 BB, then i say shove is the best play.

Old
Sat Oct 11, 2014, 05:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi adi,

I actually prefer shoving, 20bb is a bit deep but with 2 weak limpers the pot is juiced enough and I expect we will get a large % of folds and take it down preflop a reasonably significant amount of the time. To CrazYJohnnie's point about the range of hands that will call your 20bb shove, yeah we don't play well vs. TT+/AK, but I think it's important to note that once they choose to limp in and not raise initially the chances they have these holdings is largely reduced imo. They are more likely limping 99-, AJ/KQ-, and while we don't play great vs the top of that range (99/2 overs), we will sometimes get looked up by hands we dominate and we have a lot of fold equity. For example I have noticed a trend recently (by fish) of players who will limp in with a small pair, then call off to a shove (probably because they put you on over cards... they will even say "I knew it was a flip" when you have AK). So in summary I think we have good fold equity, and good hand equity vs. their limp-calling ranges when they don't fold.

The other option I think is just to check and see the flop, I don't fancy bloating the pot with a standard raise and playing it out of position post flop with a pair of 8's.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com