Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Check the flop to induce spazout !

Old
Check the flop to induce spazout ! - Sat Oct 11, 2014, 07:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is $11 Sunday Million Satellite with 10mins blind level 1500 starting stack, sort of between turbo and regular 10mins blind level MTTs as they skip lot of blind levels in between.

I am still in the early stages. I checked the flop for 3 reasons:
1) To pot control
2) Not many worse hands then mine will call me on the flop maybe another jack might call
3) To induce a bluff by him on later streets.

When he bet the turn I called and I was prepared to call river. I checked flop to induce bluffs, but not a shove on river...

What to do now on river?

And what other line can I take in this hand?

STATS :

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 03:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi adi,

I think the biggest learning point here is a conflict of goals with your flop check. The stack to pot ratio is too low (7) to achieve points 1 & 3:

1) To pot control
3) To induce a bluff by him on later streets

So if the villain does in fact bluff, we can only stand up to 1 street, or must be willing to call off in a large pot (which is what it will be if he fires 2 barrels at it).

If we don't raise preflop, the SPR would be higher and we could work both these goals in unison. And tbh I don't see tons of value in raising preflop on these stacks with QJo.

I would prefer to bet the flop rather than check, personally. There are worse hands that can call us, both worse 1 pairs and a host of draws, and betting will make the hand much easier to play (bet/fold imo). There is some utility value to protecting our equity and making the hand easier to play if we don't have a clear plan for what to do vs. 2 barrels after checking the flop.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 03:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
So the line I took is absolutely worst?

I had plan to call his proper bets on turn and river but I was never expecting overbet river shove by him as it happens 1 in 1000 times.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com