Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl sb Js9s - I'm beat - it has to be? Bet fold river or check call _ mind the gap

Old
10nl sb Js9s - I'm beat - it has to be? Bet fold river or check call _ mind the gap - Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:31 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Please don't tell me about auto top up. It was nearly banned by legislation.

Risks need to be re-asserted when mistakes are made. I missed the gap on the river - like a London tube station announcement "mind the gap".

I messed up, we block the Js & 9s but didn't see the "wood for the trees". So bet river for value or check call?

Getting told off again for checking the nuts. No excuse, just didn't see K5.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Mon Oct 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: block both spades

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 01:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
You realise you have the absolute nuts on that board don't you?

Why would you ever, ever, bet fold?

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Dude you have a straight flush.

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 02:51 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi ForrestFive,

[Preflop]
I don’t like that call, you won’t hit anything most of the times and when you do hit something you will be dominated and oop.

Besides that, you might be raised by the bb or mp and you will need to fold.

[Flop]
Nothing you can do here but to check/fold.

[Turn]
I think I like the bet here, but keep in mind that they might not fold a ten, a queen or a draw so the chances of you getting called are big.

[River]
That was just the perfect card for you, you can’t check here.

The reason you can’t check is that there is weaker hands that will call you, but at the same time they are too weak to value bet. e.g. some two pairs, queens, weak aces, etc...

Hope I could help you, good luck in your next hands!

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 03:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi forrest,

First I think this is a clear fold preflop. It's a 3-bet pot, we are out of position to both raisers and don't close the action so it could even be raised again. I wouldn't mind peeling the flop here if we were very deep stacked, but starting with 80bb effective with the 3-bettor I don't think there's any way to make this call profitably.

Flop and turn play are good. I like betting the turn as it's very reasonable for us to have a big ace (AK/AQ) given the preflop action, and we have turned a lot of equity vs. better hands.

River is a clear bet imo, we have the nuts with many worse hands that can call a bet, but won't bet themselves. We lucked out that he made a huge hand himself and, figuring it was good when we check, made a big bet for us. It would be a shame to lose value from 2 pair or Ax by not betting.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:39 PM
(#6)
Since: May 2011
Thanks guys,

Yes as I said, I didn't see what I had. Leading the turn was bluffing the As. It wasn't believed, so when the flush came in thought we were Q high.

Complete Muppet in calling anyway, by then thinking I was being bluffed not seeing the nuts. Looking back at the hand, thought I'd give you guys a laugh.

Well that's after calling my stack off with A5 to Andy yesterday in a PSO home game. Didn't even look at the screen name until after the fact. Just clicking buttons across different tables, not thinking.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com