Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Something i did wrong or just luck ?

Old
Something i did wrong or just luck ? - Mon Oct 13, 2014, 03:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2014

How did i play this hand ?
The villian liks to raise udg with every suited ace, suited connector and with and his never folding pre-flop.He is very aggresive on and after the flop when he puts money in, and is capable firing 2-3 bullets on nothing.

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 04:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
Why not shove the flop after being raised? Regardless, he's just been hugely lucky.

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:09 AM
(#3)
Well his re-raise on the flop was not that strong so i thaught he is either trying to commit me to the pot or is firing with nothing to scare me of the cards like AK or some smaller pair.Also he could have a hand like As 4s or 5s 6s so i wanted to see the turn.If a spade comes and he bets i fold.

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:15 AM
(#4)
Surely it's better to give him an opportunity to call a too big a bet with a flush draw or straight draw rather than get ready to fold your hand to a spade?

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:38 AM
(#5)
No doubt about that, i just thought this way i would be able to make him put all of his money in and i did,while if i shove on the flop he might fold, given that he may not have anything.I would propobly shove against any other opponent.

Old
Cool
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 11:18 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by danRa120 View Post
How did i play this hand ?
The villian liks to raise udg with every suited ace, suited connector and with and his never folding pre-flop.He is very aggresive on and after the flop when he puts money in, and is capable firing 2-3 bullets on nothing.
Hi danRa120,

Starting from the beginning, if you think that the villain has a wide open/call range from the utg, why did you 3bet him only 3x the amount of his open(18c)?

If you are oop and he doesn’t like to fold to 3bets pre flop you can make it a bit more expensive for him to have a bigger pot pos flop, meaning that your cbets will be bigger...

Once you get to the flop you bet 24c in a pot of 38c, that is around 60% of the pot, what would be ok in a very dry board or against nits, however, the player seems loose and the board is fairly connected, plus if he likes to open with suited aces/connectors he won’t want to fold when he hits a flush draw/straight draw right?

So I would advise you to cbet around 75%-100% of the pot in these situations, and going all in on the flop in nl2 is probably a good move since you get paid by top pairs or draws.

I hope I helped and good luck in your next hands!!

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 11:55 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danRa120 View Post
Well his re-raise on the flop was not that strong so i thaught he is either trying to commit me to the pot or is firing with nothing to scare me of the cards like AK or some smaller pair.Also he could have a hand like As 4s or 5s 6s so i wanted to see the turn.If a spade comes and he bets i fold.
the problem with this is that by calling the small raise instead of shoving... the opp now gets the correct odds to stay in the hand if they have spades. if they have a draw, we need to make sure that we bet enough so that the opp expects to lose chips to us if they stay in the hand. When we call here, they expect to gain chips from us (and will win chips on average each and every single time)... the opposite of what I want to happen.

I agree with Fishwick.. I'm shoving to the re-raise on the flop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:36 PM
(#8)
Thank you guys for your replies, i guess the only thing wrong here was my bet sizing and not shoving on the flop.

Old
Fri Oct 17, 2014, 07:29 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2013
Imo not shoving flop was correct as a) he is more capable doing betting mistakes than calling mistakes b) his raise size is smallish indicating that he doesn’t have much

Him having flush draw is 9%, but futher he probably would go higher bet size w it. Also if he has strong draw even by showing we can't denie his pot odds to call.

Last edited by braveslice; Fri Oct 17, 2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 17, 2014, 09:13 AM
(#10)
Yeah you're correct. Calling an all with a flush draw e.g. KJ is actually +EV for him by $0.23. You can't deny him the odds.

Personally I wouldn't read too much into raising size at micro stakes though.

Could you explain the 9%?

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 05:54 AM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi Fishwick, I got the number 9% by using Equilab. About the same opening range OP gave and the program gives the odds. Flopzilla is another program to do this.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com