Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

QQ facing 3-bet !

Old
QQ facing 3-bet ! - Mon Oct 13, 2014, 11:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $11 Phase tournament with 2 Day's (Phase 1 = Day 1 and Phase 2 = Day 2). I am playing Phase 1 where I need to survive 15 levels and it has 10mins blind level.

Hand from same tournament I posted 10mins back,

Should I call or 4-bet (to what amount) or just shove?

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With QQ from UTG, I'm going to make my standard opening raise (I use 2.5X at this blind level, so I'd raise to 500).

I then get 3-bet from an unknown to 1200.

The only way I'd even consider folding here is if the opp was a known total nit (not the case). Since I'm not folding, and calling to be out of position when an A or K comes on the flop is a horrible situation that I would not want to consider either, with a made hand, I need to raise. My standard 4-bet sizing is to 2.5X the previous bet, which is to 3k.. but this is well over 1/3 of my stack, so I'm shoving!

Yes, the opp could wake up with a monster or outdraw me, but with a made hand and a shorter stack, I need to be getting my chips in here. That's why bankroll management is so important and why I need 100 buy-ins in my bankroll before playing a given level of tournament. Spots like this are ones that winning players need to go with and I'm not passing it up. If I win, I have a stack... if I lose, I can fire up the next tourney with no problem, as my bankroll allows me to do so.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:48 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
if I lose, I can fire up the next tourney with no problem, as my bankroll allows me to do so.
LOL Thats what I did fired up another tourny, my main doubt was to 4-bet to some amount or to just 4-bet over-bet shove. I think shove is better as he can flat my 4-bet and then post flop I will be committed anyways.

I wonder what would be your answer if I had AA? Shove or 4-bet to some amount to get some more chippies !!

Thanks

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Anytime that a player makes a non-standard bet when they are pot-committed, this sets off alarms to any observant opponent.
As soon as a player does this and has to show a hand, the opp will start making notes on hand ranges and bet patterns.
This information WILL be used against the player whenever they play against them again.. and the opp with the tell WILL be exploited for it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
I wonder what would be your answer if I had AA?
I will shove the entire range of hands that I want to play. Any bet other than a shove is a very, very bad, exploitable play.
Betting to less with AA would be a prime example of how to turn AA into a hand where I expect to LOSE chips. Turning AA into a losing hand over time... is very hard to do and this is one way to accomplish it. The opp will get the correct odds, can then call and expect to WIN chips from me every single time on average.. even with me holding AA.
If the opp gets the correct odds to play, my hand is a long-term loser, regardless of what my hand is... something that I absolutely do not want to have happen.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 12:58 PM
(#6)
But you told me long time back that shoving makes villain play perfectly as he can't make calling mistakes when facing a huge shove.

I mean incase he was 3-betting light with suited connectors or AQs or small pocket pair. He would snap fold to a 4-bet over-pot bet shove.

Old
Mon Oct 13, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Overbet shoving allows them to play perfectly... this is not an overbet, it's a standard bet.

Any 4-bet other than a shove on this stack, to say it's a horrible play.. is an understatement.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com