Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$11 Phase tournament, AK facing insane action?

Old
$11 Phase tournament, AK facing insane action? - Tue Oct 14, 2014, 04:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $11 Phase tournament with 2 Day's (Phase 1 = Day 1 and Phase 2 = Day 2). I am playing Phase 1 where I need to survive 15 levels and it has 10mins blind level.

It is sort of mid stages of Day 1. I have 6871 chips. I am facing a limp, then raise and then a 3-bet. What should I do here?

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Personally, I think this is a pretty easy fold, at least one has a pair, quite possibly one or more have a big Ace type hand which takes out some of our outs. Sint gilles is pretty committed.

Did you have any stats on how often makaka119 raises limps?

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi adi,

I think this is a somewhat standard 4b rip spot on a 27bb stack unless the raiser and particularly the re-raiser are very tight. Although the sample sizes are small, they indicate the opposite is the case. The raiser is 28/20 and probably wider than normal isolating on a limper, and the 3-bettor has been somewhere between LAG and maniac. AKs plays quite well vs. his probable 3B range... if he calls off much of it feeling he's committed that's fine, and if he folds a lot and only calls off the tight portions of it that's fine too since there's now 14.4bb in the pot to fight for. Pretty sure a shove is going to be +EV with JJ+/AK here, so I'd say let'er rip.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2011
Still is it a shove knowing it's at best a flip most probably against JJ+ ?

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:17 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
Still is it a shove knowing it's at best a flip most probably against JJ+ ?

The notion that a borderline maniac will 3b to 8bb and only call off to a shove with JJ+ seems, well... let's just say I don't track with that.

But the answer to your question is yes. He can't escape his wide ranges. If he only calls off with JJ+ somehow then I estimate he's folding to our shove over 80% of the time. The original opener is significantly wider. We can take the worst of it for stacks here if we are picking up 14.4bb's uncontested a very large % of the time as compensation.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com