Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

hot $2.20 turbo satelite., Was this the best play?

Old
hot $2.20 turbo satelite., Was this the best play? - Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
tournament is a hot $2.20 turbo satelite.
Villian 1 is extremely loose playing any 2 suited cards, however when he has pairs or high card A or king he raises to 3BB, so I know he is most likely playing suited connectors or any 2 suited cards but not the Ace or King here.

He raises to 2.2BB I have Kd Qs and opt to call as I am 95% certain he is not holding a pair or an Ace or King and probably playing 2 suited cards, also knowing that any raise he would still call.

Villian_6 in the SB shoves all in but again this could be a wide range as this is a turbo and blinds ramp up fast although at this point he is sat on 16BB so is probably holding a good hand.

Villian_1 shoves all in over the top, if it had just been Villian_6 I would have called but into two players I decided to fold.

Flop came Kc 5h 3d, which would have given me top pair.

Villian_6 was holding pocket Q's and Villian_1 was holding a suited connector as expected with 7d, 8d.

As it turns out I would have won but the question is really was this the right call to fold?

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
Again, regardless of reads, the initial call is just bad IMO.

You're not only calling the initial raiser, you're calling with 5 behind, one of which (Villain 7) should go in with almost any two cards if it's just called round to him meaning that the pot is almost guaranteed to be raised once. It's not a great spot for a call with this kind of danger hand. KQ is just dominated often, underdog against any pair.

To call the raise in this situation would be -EV to the tune of 820, as you have to call 4,135 for an expectation of 2,841 in the main pot, and 474 in the side pot. Added to that, if you only win the side pot you will just be in an all in or fold situation. Obviously you can't know their exact cards, but I think you're expecting similar to what they had, Villain 6 didn't need to all in so a high pair should be common, and Villain 1 had the suited connectors as expected.

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 06:01 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Yeah I had no real read on Villian_6 but with villian_1 it really was clear with his betting what he was holding, I know there is always the chance that he could mix it up on that hand. But the problem for him was he would call down almost everything to showdown so had seen quiet a few of his hands and had seen his betting pattern.

He had been lucky a number of times hitting on the river though so his stack was quiet healthy.

Also have to confess to missing the read on villian_7's stack during the hand.

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:12 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With KQ, I do not have anywhere near a strong enough hand to call a raise with. Even opening it, if it's folded to me from this position is a very marginal play. KQ is an open raising hand or an open-shove hand if my stack is low enough. It's not a calling hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:52 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Would you really not change the range of hands you would play in a 5 min blind turbo tournement??

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:57 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
KQ, it's too light. The hands that I'm playing are based on stack size and position. The only difference that a turbo will make is that I need to open-shove instead of std raise at a different number of BB. The hands stay the same, but I'd have to shove at a higher number of BB.

The reason for it is that if the opp that raised is a competent player, I'm up against a better K, better Q, big A or pair basically every single time here. KQ vs this range is a 62-38 dog.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com