Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

A/10 on the button in turbo tournament

Old
A/10 on the button in turbo tournament - Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
turbo sat tournament on the button with Ac 10s.

Blinds are 150/300 most players at the table sat with less than 10 BBI have 22 BB.

Villian_8 raises 2BB and has been playing relatively tight as has most of the table. I call the raise having position on him and expecting the blinds to fold behind me.

Flop comes 9c As Jh, giving me top pair with a 10 kicker no flush draw so a good flop. Villian checks so I figure he doesn't hold an Ace even though the flop is definitely within his range.

I bet 50% of a 1875 pot for 937 villian calls.

Turn comes Ad giving me trips stopping any flush draws and only leaving KQ, Q10, K10 with gutshot straight draws. Villian again checks so I bet 50% of the 3,749 pot with a 1,874 bet villian again calls although I was surprised he didn't shove here as it only left hiom 259 behind. Slight concern it is possible villian is slow playing AK, AQ, AJ, A9 but feel its unlikely considering he checked twice even though he was the preflop aggressor.

River comes 4c so a complete brick, villian now leads out with his 259 chips into a 7,497 stack so with those odds I had to call even if he did have one of the combinations that had me beat.

Interestingly he was drawing for the straight with Kh 10h, I think I played this well but would appreciate the advice from the more experienced on here.

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Against a tight player, AT is a muck preflop when they raise. A tight player will not be opening lesser aces from their position, it will be better aces, pairs and maybe KQ.... and AT plays horrible against that range.

I'd flat with AK or maybe AQs, any lower aces against a tight player need to be folded as I'm too easily dominated.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:40 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
The problem I have is if I wait for marginal hands in a turbo tournement I am dead before I play a hand so and looking at my hand history for this tournament I never got what I would class as a premium hand the whole game. nearest I got was AQ UTG.

So what should the plan be when its a sat tournement with 17 tickets with 5 min blinds. All the players that tried to sit it out just went before the bubble so not playing isn't an option.

In this instance the player opened UTG with K10s so his range was wider than you give him credit for.I also had a reasonable stack compared to the most of the table and could afford to look at the flop in late position, but maybe thats a wrong thought process.

A10o btn, KQs BB, KQo CO, QTo were 4 of the best hands I got during that torunament. I did get pocket J's on the button late game but they just won me the blinds. I just don't see how it is possible to not play these non premium hands with 5 minute blinds and still stay in the tournement.

So flatting with AK, AQ or top pairs was never an option for me, so if I'm really honest I would rather go with a hand like A10 than just blind out in a tournement, maybe I'm just unlucky and just don't see High Aces and top pairs as often as some, so can't always play the correct hands.

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When playing a tourney, the general rule is open wider as the stack size goes down, but call tighter. When someone is in the pot before me, I cannot play a wider range, I need to play a tighter range.

If I was the first to get into the pot, I'd play AT here all day long, but I cannot be calling a raise with it.

John (JWK24)

Turbo tournaments have a higher variance, due to not being able to get as many good hands and also needing to shove earlier. There will be numerous times when I won't get hands, then have to shove something marginal, when my stack size dictates it.. it's the nature of the beast.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:02 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbo62 View Post
so if I'm really honest I would rather go with a hand like A10 than just blind out in a tournement,
Against a loose opp, shoving AT here is a great option... but not against a tighter player.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:14 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
But in this instance I was only committing a very small portion of my stack to see the flop with a hand that isn't one I would describe as bad. I figured if his hand was really strong he would have gone all in as he was only 12BB deep and although he had played fairly tight he was definitely not a nit and so I wasn't surprised when he showed two broadway cards. Although they were suited I was surprised that he called off his stack chasing a gut shot though.

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:22 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If my hand is behind the opp's range... I need to fold.

If my hand is ahead of the opp's range.. I can call or raise.

Against a tighter opp, AT is not ahead of their range when opening from MP.

The opp not open-shoving here actually tightens their range even more than it normally would.... as they are saying they want and don't care about getting action.

John (JWK24)

Trying to see flops when behind because it's cheap is just like playing too many hands from the SB... it's a huge leak of chips that I absolutely need to avoid.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:30 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Here are my stats from this tournament can you give an opinion on them?

I didn't see the flop once in the SB only twice in the BB and 7 times in other positions.

Would appreciate an opinion on what this tells you about my play style, obviously the tournament only lasted 71 hands so its not a massive sample.

What would be a normal % of times a player would be expected to see the flop?

71 hands played and saw flop:
- 0 times out of 10 while in small blind (0%)
- 2 times out of 10 while in big blind (20%)
- 7 times out of 51 in other positions (14%)
- a total of 9 times out of 71 (13%)

Pots won at showdown - 4 out of 4 (100%)
Pots won without showdown - 14

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:57 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
when playing a tournament, obviously, this will depend on the cards that I'm getting, but I'm aiming for 20/16 for my stats. 20% of hands, I will voluntarily put chips into the pot and 16% of those, I'm raising preflop.

The numbers here are a bit low, but they may not be if you're putting chips into the pot, then folding any hands preflop, as these are not counted in those stats.

When playing out of the SB, I want to be raising the overwhelming majority of these hands, due to the positional disadvantage postflop.

The positions where I want to be playing the most hands are the button and the CO... where I can have position in the hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 14, 2014, 05:44 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
No I didn't put chips into the pot once in the SB position mainly because it was usually raised before it got to me or my hand was poor, certainly would want a strong hand in SB to add chips to the pot.
and I didn't get that during this tournament.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com