Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

22 on BB flopping a set.

Old
22 on BB flopping a set. - Wed Oct 15, 2014, 05:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
I know JWK will probably say this is bad because I didn't do standard bet but I will explain my thinking and see what you guys have to say.

I have 22 on the BB with blinds at 25/50 still early in a 55c $400 Gtd turbo tournament.
UTG opend limps and all bar one player calls I check to see the flop for free with a 350 pot.

Flop comes 6s 2d Qc so a completely dry board, with the number of ops in the game I would need to make a pot sized bet but didn't think I would get much action to a bet of that size so made a min betof 50 to try and build a pot with as ,many players as possible. I know this isn't standard but felt a bigger bet would lose me too many op's.
3 players called then SB made what was less than a half pot bet.

With 4 op's still in the pot I looked at standard bet of a pot bet which would pot commit me so shoved my stack of 3170, folded round to SB who called.

Would appreciate comments as always guys. What should I have done different here.

SB was playing 2 pair post flop.

Old
Wed Oct 15, 2014, 05:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
I think the min bet doesn't get any value, doesn't get rid of any 'drawing' hands (which in this case there aren't many, but I would include pocket pairs set mining), but gives away information about your hand. It also doesn't start to build the pot, so you will struggle to win a stack later on without large overbets which people wont often go for with a hand that's losing to you after the turn.

In this case it worked, but I think that was because you were up against the absolute best hand that was losing to you.

Old
Wed Oct 15, 2014, 05:53 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Yeah but this was a table where they all seemed to want to see the flop, but folded to any big bet on the flop. I must confess I had used it too my advantage a couple of times upto that point when on the button even winning a flop with a 82o bluff. They would always bet if they had hit the flop though, but only player that really concerned me was villian_9 but he had folded pre flop.

Only real draws would have been 4/5 or 3/4 with a gutshot.

I appreciate it could have given them the odds to see another card but if villian_4 hadn't hit 2 pair I'm sure a pot bet would have folded out so no value at all.

The only one that wasn't playing like that was villian_9 and I had watched him steal a couple of flops that way too.

Probably down to the fact it was still early stages in a micro stakes tournament.

Old
Wed Oct 15, 2014, 11:32 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree, all the min bet does is to lose value. Std bet, std bet, std bet.

Anyone that sees this hand and is a knowledgeable player WILL be making a note on you and exploiting you in the future when you make this type of abnormal bet.

You were lucky to be up against 2 pair here. If they don't raise, then the straight draws get the right odds to continue and if they end up beating you later in the hand.. it's your own fault when you lose.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 15, 2014, 01:06 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Interestingly an almost identical situation came up later in the $8.80 tournament that I satellited into

On the button with pocket 2's, play folded round to me so I opened with a 3BB bet, Big blind called.

Flop comes 7d 2c 5s so not really any likely draws as at this level I didn't thin 6/4 or 6/8 was in his range.
villian opened betting with 160, I was tempted to just call this bet to try and extract extra value on the following streets. But decided to take the advice given here and bet, think I hit the 50% button for the bet but not too sure as it seems a little high.

Villian folded and showed KhQh.

Old
Wed Oct 15, 2014, 01:36 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In the 2nd hand, you absolutely need to make a standard raise. If the opp bet 1/2 pot or more, then I'd call. If I call a smaller bet and the opp hits a draw, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 15, 2014, 05:42 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Oh yeah not disagreeing with you and shows I do listen to your advise as I did follow it in the second instance as it turns out there was not much that would have given the OP the win in this instance apart from runner runner Q or K. But putting a standard bet took the pot down without having difficult decisions later if a possible straight or flush had hit the board.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com