Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

getting value

Old
getting value - Wed Oct 15, 2014, 06:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Pre is a easy call. setmining 66 from btn all day.

Flop great, dry board, aggresor bets... what do I do?

If I raise, my hand looks superstrong, people will fold almost anything except 99+, 44 and maybe AK. Those are hands that I want to target because those are the ones that give me value (excl 99 ofc). All other hands have no value anyway.

If I flatcall, I might get multiple streets of value and since this is a dry board, I dont really need protection so flatting looks nice in hindside...

What do you guys do in situations like this?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...941_C5F01058D1

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 05:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
Seems like an obvious call rather than raise IMO.

If he's making a standard c-bet he will fold to a raise, you're getting no value. But maybe he gets a piece of the turn and tries a second barrel. If he has a decent hand that you can get value from he'll probably be leading the turn, so in position it seems perfect to let the pre-flop aggressor bet into you.

You're in a way ahead/way behind scenario where not many holdings can improve to beating you, but a turn card will help improve their hand somewhat and get further bets.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 05:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
I think raising is fine to be honest.

Do we know if he is barrel happy? If he is then I don't mind calling flop instead of raising. If he has a tight opening range then I favour raising now. I wouldn't bank on him being able to get away from JJ+ but there are scare cards to that range when an ace hits. We do have position and can make sure there are no free streets but I think raising flop is a very minor error if an error at all.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 06:15 AM
(#4)
Thanks. So prob both options are kinda equal and very dependend on how villain reacts...

From what I remember, I had him tagged as regular but I had no stats as my HUD didn't work last night
(update from Pokerstars client may have messed that up, dunno).

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 06:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2014
Interesting point about the overpairs that probably aren't improving (or are improving to win the hand). Have to get them to commit now.

Perhaps I put too much emphasis on the AK, AQ, AJ type hands that can improve with a turn card, when the number that can hit one particular card are such a small part of the overall range.

So will depend a lot on the villain I guess as to whether he will have another attempt at the pot.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 09:56 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey rk!

I like the raise here, but think the sizing is too big. I'd have made it in the 95 cent to $1.05 range.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 10:49 AM
(#7)
Good point JWK... why did I make it this big ?... 2.2 x is more standaard

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com