Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

suited connector in SB from PSO today

Old
suited connector in SB from PSO today - Thu Oct 16, 2014, 06:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
I'm in the SB with 7c 8c and 3 limpers ahead of me so I felt the odds were good enough so I called the bet to see the flop BB checked so its 5 way to the flop.

Flop comes 6c 2c 10d giving a club flush draw and a gut shot straight draw, my predicament was being first to act and no garantee any flush I hit would be the best hand, I opted to check.

BB bets 120 into a 690 pot two OP's call so I need to bet 120 into a 1050 pot so pot odds of about 10:1, I call.

Turn comes Jcgiving me the flush but with no garantee its the best flush draw, this is were I am really unsure but decide to check and see what happens, BB again bets 120 and other OP's call.

I am now of the opinion that they don't have the flush and maybe holding pairs or a straight draw, they could also be looking for 4 to the flush, don't know whether to raise the turn and bet 1100 into a 1530 pot to try and stop the flush drawing hands. Decide instead just to call, would really appreciate advice on what I should have done here.

river comes As and as the BB had been leading out every street I decided to just check to him as I am sure he has something on the board but not really sure what. other OP's fold. I decide to make a small raise as I don't think the OP has enough on this board to call more and raise his 120 bet to 360 he calls.

As always advice and comments appreciated.

OP had Jh 10c so had two pair but would have won if river had been a club.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 06:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2014
Hard to read betting patterns on a table where you get min bet call call call.

I'd probably raise the turn for value, and if you get fold fold fold at least there's no river club or the board doesn't pair. And you have more of an idea where you stand. If you get reraised I think you're losing most of the time, and if called probably bet/fold the river.

Also I think you should value bet for higher than 1/5 pot on the river.

low-mid suited connectors are slightly tricky to play in that even when you hit the flush you have to be wary.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 09:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Webbo62!

If this is from a league game, these games have a strategy unto themselves... do NOT play anything marginal until ITM. Instant muck preflop.

The entire goal in these games is to last as long as possible without taking any chances in order to get more and more league points for the monthly leaderboard. I also do not ever want to be all-in in one of these games unless I'm 100% certain that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board... or I'm blinded in. Yes, it's better to blind out than to take a chance with something marginal.

If I had a hand worth raising here with (AA/KK/QQ) then I'd make a standard raise.... every other combination of cards is in the muck.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 10:36 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Chip preservation was one of the reasons I was checking this downtrying to get to a made hand as cheaply as possible. Definitely was never going all in with the possibility I didn't have the best hand, the final bet was more about trying to get more value from the hand when I was fairly sure I did have the winning hand.

Unfortunately its impossible to get to a point where you are 100% you hold the best hand with 5 cards on the table and still get any value.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 10:50 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Here is another hand from PSO one I am currently still playing in the later stages.

Interested to know your thoughts here.

Blinds 60/120 I have a stack of 8678 so about 72 BB.

UTG open limps, UTG+1 calls villian_2 in MP+1 raises to 2,400 as he had been prone to do with any Ax/Kx using his stack to steal pots especially when limpers played, villian_5 shoves allin for 2186.
A call would take almost 1/3 of my stack so I shove to try and isolate villian_5. Villian_9 now calls all in for 2390 so with a pot of 16k villian_2 also calls. So 4 way to the flop.

Would appreciate your thoughts on whether I should have shoved here or just called the original 2400 bet?

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 10:56 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
This one is from later in that PSO tournament.

Don't know if I had played this differently whether the outcome would have been any different.

KK on the button one player raises to 3BB I 3 bet to 3x for 7200, he then shoves all in I call.

Thinking if I had just called then bet big on the flop he may have folded but would appreciate if that would have been a better play.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
First KK hand, I'm flatting the 2400 and making sure there isn't an A on the board. If one shows or the board pairs and I don't get a K.. into the muck they go. In a cash tourney, I'm shoving when it gets to me, but not in a league game.

Second one, I'm flatting and making sure that there isn't an A on the board. I'll 3-bet in a cash tourney, but not in a league. I have a good chip stack and need to use it to last longer, not take a chance.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 03:41 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2014
These league games sound dull.

Old
Thu Oct 16, 2014, 04:44 PM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2013
Then don't play them.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com