Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

pocket 8's on 2NL in CO

Old
pocket 8's on 2NL in CO - Fri Oct 17, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
In the CO with 8c 8h.

UTG raise but this wasn't a major concern as this guy was extremely fishy with stats of VP57/PF30/AF5.0 so I called, SB then raised to 26c but he had 3bet a lot from the blinds mostly with nothing so was a little unsure how to proceed here I knew villian_3 would call him so I would have to bet 20c into a 60c pot so 4:1 pot odds. So I called.

Flop comes 8s Jc Qh giving me the set but also giving a possible straight draw and a flop that is certainly within villian_3's range although unlikely that 9/10 was in his range, certain he wasn't holding a big pocket pair as he always opened with a bigger bet when he was holding a big pair.

SB checks and villian_3 bets 38c into a 80c pot, making pot 118 I decided to raise it totry and push off the straight draw and take the pot down there as it was basically an all in for villian_3 with that bet. I clicked the 66% button which gave a bet of 1.38 which I still think is more than 66%. SB folded as expected but surprisingly villian_3 calls leaving 2c in his stack.

The turn comes the 10c which would most likely have allowed villian to push me off the pot if he been able to make a proper bet but for 2cents I called.

River was even worse as it came the Ad so any 9 or any K had a straight.

villian was holding Jh Qs for two pair.

question is was it the right play to try and force the decision to commit his stack on the flop or did I just get lucky.

Certainly if I had to try and play the turn and river I think I would have been pushed off the pot.

Really would appreciate sdvice on this one.

I'm pretty sure one comment will be I should have folded to the 3bet from SB and funny thing is if that 3bet had come from the button or the BB I would have done, so I am happy with that decision based on table read having played over 150 hands against most of the op's on this table.

Old
Fri Oct 17, 2014, 07:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Always call preflop ! such a great spot to setmine.

OTF, I would shove tbh.
If villain9 has a hand to continue with, he will call a shove as well. Your raise makes you potcommitted so you are never going to fold on further streets. Just get it all in and hope for the best.

The flop is too coordinated to call and slowplay (which you shouldn't be doing much anyway), so I like your raise for sure, just make it 34 cents more

Nice pot!

Last edited by rkleefstra; Fri Oct 17, 2014 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: edited my initial text because I forgot the 3rd player

Old
Fri Oct 17, 2014, 07:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
raise really only needed to be 2 cents more as that was the limit of his stack, but certainly see your point as that would have committed the SB if he wanted to come along, but really didn't expect him to come along.

Really didn't understand his play he reguarly 3bet a raise when he was in the blinds to fold to a flop bet unless he was betting suited cionnectors I don't understand what he was acheiving apart from losing chips.

Old
Fri Oct 17, 2014, 07:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
Always call preflop ! such a great spot to setmine.

OTF, I would shove tbh.
If villain9 has a hand to continue with, he will call a shove as well. Your raise makes you potcommitted so you are never going to fold on further streets. Just get it all in and hope for the best.

The flop is too coordinated to call and slowplay (which you shouldn't be doing much anyway), so I like your raise for sure, just make it 34 cents more

Nice pot!
+1 I 100% agree with every bit of this.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com