Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom facing river re-raise on possible made straight

Old
5NL Zoom facing river re-raise on possible made straight - Fri Oct 17, 2014, 02:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Managed to hit my set, but the board becomes scarier and scarier. I still bet at the river but somehow couldn't bring myself to call once more after the raise... Would a call have been the better play? Readless on opponent.

Oops, just realised I messed up and posted 5NL in the 10NL+ section, sorry (and please move if possible, thanks)

Last edited by Nataraj1; Fri Oct 17, 2014 at 04:41 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 09:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nataraj,

Your bet sizing on the flop is too small imo. It seems like you're just betting because you hit a hand but not really considering what range you're targeting for value. What I mean is, on the flop you bet 1/3rd pot... but the hands that will continue vs a bet from us will be largely 1 pair hands that will feel fairly strong on a 642 board. 77-JJ (and bigger pockets if he doesn't 3-bet them), 55, 44, 22... these hands all will call a larger bet. So 2/3rds to 3/4ths pot seems better here.

On the turn the 40% pot is better because the ace is a scare card to much of his flop continuing range. If he has a hand like 88, it's the one card he fears the most, so he's probably not eager to call a bigger bet now.

And that leads us to the river. It seems hard to get action from worse hands vs. any decent player, but since the villain is a fish I do like betting over check/calling. Since he's passive, when he puts in a river raise it is very likely a straight imo, so I think folding is fine. Calling is fine too since we're readless and don't know with any degree of certainty he won't do something silly. Normally I'm not folding this far up in my range because it would be so exploitable but not worried about being exploited here at all.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 09:29 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum since not 10NL or higher JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 07:21 PM
(#4)
Thanks for that very precise explanation, Dave, I like the ranges and bet sizing correction. Looks like I played this badly.

Thanks John for moving the post.

Old
Tue Oct 21, 2014, 10:31 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
With your mistake you got Dave to rewview your hand. Nobody reviews -10NL hands anymore.

Old
Tue Oct 21, 2014, 10:41 AM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlopes View Post
With your mistake you got Dave to rewview your hand. Nobody reviews -10NL hands anymore.
Not true. I do pop in here once in a while (granted, infrequently). John responds to most of them though I believe.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 22, 2014, 12:08 AM
(#7)
Invaluable help, both.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com