Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$3.30 Saturday Micro, Can I jam?

Old
$3.30 Saturday Micro, Can I jam? - Sat Oct 18, 2014, 12:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $3.30 Saturday Micro. I am already in the money around 900 players till left. It has 15mins blind level.

Can I shove here?

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 12:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
I'll give you my honest opinion i think shoving would be a good play and a lot of hands that you would be flipping against such kq k10 kj j10 q10 a10 possibly even aj etc will fold as he wants to see a flop often not call of his stack.. chances of him having ak aq and overpairs arn't that likely or another player waking up... also have to consider that this is currently 7 handed. Its calculated risk taking. i think its a good spot to shove and often you will take down the pot uncontested calling would be the worse decision then seeing the big blind come over the top then the opener also calling.. In that situation you'd have to fold.. don't like setmining here i hope you take my advice adi. Its how we maintain stack in mtts off taking down a lot of pots pre flop. This is vital. If the short stack big blind calls then often we are going to be way ahead as he can't be waiting round that long. Just bad luck if u run into a dominant hand. Our aim here is to take it down pre flop. GL at the tables Adi! :-) hope that helped

Last edited by andrewj50050; Sat Oct 18, 2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 01:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With 77, I get a raise to 2.4BB by a loose opp before me. I obviously, cannot call this bet, as most of the players at the table do not have 15X this bet in their stacks (me neither), so I cannot call to setmine. This means that I need to raise or fold.

If I raise, a standard 3-bet sizing is to about 6k (2.2 to 2.5 times the previous bet and I’d go to the top end with multiple players left to act), so since this does not pot-commit me, jamming is out of the question.

Now, I need to see if I want to raise to 6k or fold. I am slightly ahead in a coin-flip against the initial raiser, BUT, there are still 3 opps behind me left to act. One opp is tight passive (not a problem). One is tight aggressive with a stack that they should be playing for all of them the next hand they get involved with, which means that I would be playing for their stack, not just my raise amount. The other opp is a loose player, which is another problem.

The bottom line for me is that if I knew that I could be heads-up against the initial raiser, I’d be happy to make it 6k, but since I’m most likely going to be in a multi-way pot, possibly up to a 4-way pot, I need to let this hand go and look for a better spot as I will not be the favorite to win with 77 in a multi-way pot, especially if the TAG player behind me gets involved.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 02:02 PM
(#4)
Old format SKILL LEAGUE tight survival mode philosophy that was preached.. you still follow that by the looks of things john. Tournaments on pokerstars play completely different to those games. In my experience you are taking down that pot a vast % of the time by shoving. I have played thousands of mtts on stars.

If he 3 bets to 6k then he is priced into call if the big blind shoves making things very awkward and its nightmare on elm street if then the opener goes all in too. Also you don't need to be 3 betting that big if u did 3 bet. All the top notch players on stars are using smaller bet sizing that does the same job like even if he did 3 bet 5200 would be high enough.

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 02:11 PM
(#5)
i think 5200 to 6k 3 bet would work best if there was no short stack and our stack was around 35k. i think 3 betting medium pairs for 20% of your stack on a shallow stack would fall into fancy play syndrome box. Each to their own and all that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 02:13 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I was in later position (didn't have the loose button behind me), I said I'd go to 2.2, which is about 5200.

If I raise to 6k and the BB jams, then I'm happy to play against them and would re-shove if the initial raiser flats it. What I want to avoid here is being in a 3-4 way pot in a -EV situation.

P.S. I can't play on PS for cash, since I'm in the US, but where I am playing, I've played over 2k tourneys this year and have a very healthy ROI at them, including a major tournament series win.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 02:40 PM
(#7)
Well done there.. credit where credit's due. i prefer to live a little more dangerously which will often lead to getting a lot of big stacks. FOLDING is big part of the game but in this instance i am looking to build my stack not fold and not pass up opportunities like this especially when its short handed

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 02:48 PM
(#8)
It will 75% of the time a flip does that mean I will just keep folding coz my pocket pair will always be slightly ahead in a coin-flip to the over cards. Like 22-99 are never going all-in coz opponent will have picture cards 75% of the time?

Old
Sat Oct 18, 2014, 03:16 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adi!

Not at all. If we were the first to get into the hand... I'm raising with 77 here every time. When someone's in, in front of me, I lose first-in vigorish and due to that, I need to have a better and better hand for each player that is already in the pot.

Most likely, this will be a multi-way pot and if it's not HU.. then it's not a flip, I'm in deep trouble.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 02:53 PM
(#10)
Thanks for clearing doubt!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com