Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Could I have got motre value here?

Old
Could I have got motre value here? - Mon Oct 20, 2014, 07:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
On the small blind with As 6s, Villian_1 open limps, Villian_3 calls so I call and BB checks so 4 way to the flop.

Flop comes Ad 7s Ah giving me trip A's, couldn't decide on what to dao here, I knew a correct sized bet would probably lay clear I was holding an Ace. Thought about checking but decided in the end to bet. So bet 5,812 into a 7,750 pot as there were 3 other OP's.

Everyone folded.

Would a check have been a better option hoping to get a bluff from someone?

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 08:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey webbo,

Pre-flop call is fine imo. The flop brings A7A rainbow, which gives us trips. Problem with betting here, especially when you bet 75% of the pot and with a dry board like this, that someone only will call when he has a 77 or Ax. I am checking here, hoping that someone bets his K7 or something like that. If everybody checks, I will make a small value bet on the turn, like half the pot and hopefully get called by someone with 7x, a low pocket pair, etc.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 11:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What reads do you have on the two limpers? Are they tight? Are they loose?

If the one that limps behind is tighter, then this is a fold preflop.

On the flop out of the blinds, I absolutely need to lead the flop. If someone raised preflop, then I could thing about check/raising... but not in a limped pot.

John (JWK24)

P.S. What's MY table image? If it's aggressive, then Ax is not a large part of my betting range, as I should have raised it preflop.. so they should be putting me on 7x.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:05 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Stats for first limper where VP60/PF11/AF2.0 although this was only over 10 hands as he was relatively new to the table.
Limper behind was a fish with VP55/PF6/AF0.4
BB stats werew VP29/PF5/AF2.0

Yeah I raised the flop but wonder if I would have got more value on later streets if I had checked,it might even have got the BB or the original open/limper to bet a bluff. I didn't see any danger on the flop, no flush draws, no straight draws, so the only way I was getting actin was from A ces or 7's. Just wasn't sure what the best play would be.

Last edited by Webbo62; Tue Oct 21, 2014 at 03:59 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The stats for the two limpers and the BB are that they are total calling stations.... they call and never bet unless they have a monster. If you check, they will not bet, so you can't get more out of them. When playing this type of player, the only thing we can do is to value bet them to death with our made hands and to never even attempt to bluff them.

Against three stations, I'm never even considering checking. These opps make calling mistakes, not betting mistakes.. so I want to give them every opportunity to do what they do wrong.. call bets.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:39 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
unfortunately for me here there was obviously not a lot on the flop for them so they couldn't really call me. Would a smaller bet have been a better idea as it may have been something at a level they would have called?

Would love how you can tell they are a calling station from their stats.

Also would appreciate what my stats say about me.

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:42 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Calling stations are players that will have a high VPIP and a very low PFR. They get these numbers because they continually call and not raise. They will also have very low AF's for the same reason.. they call and don't bet.

I'll send you a PM about yours.. that way someone doesn't read what I say and use it against you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:43 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Old
Sun Oct 26, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2014
Since the stack to pot ratio is so small there is no need to make big bets. If you bet 3k on the flop and only one person calls the pot will be just as big as your stack it will be easy to get the stacks in the middle because the limpers are getting a really good price to call.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com