Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$11 Phase tournament, Can I ship it?

Old
$11 Phase tournament, Can I ship it? - Mon Oct 20, 2014, 09:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $11 Phase tournament with 2 Day's (Phase 1 = Day 1 and Phase 2 = Day 2). I am playing Phase 1 where I need to survive 15 levels and it has 10mins blind level.

Can I shove here I have 18BB?

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 11:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With 18BB, I have a re-steal stack. With an open and another limp in front of me, this is a perfect situation to shove and wouldn't even consider anything else, especially with not having 3-bet as this increases my fold equity.

FYI - I played a very similar hand Friday in a WSOP Circuit. Mine was open-raise, instead of two limps, and I shoved my 17BB with 88.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2010
seen very similar hands to this one in the discussions where you told HERO to fold but in this case you say shove this is inconsistant.. or you are just taking more risks now or something and seeing deeper runs

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:20 PM
(#4)
Are you talking about this spot andrew:

https://www.pokerschoolonline.com/fo...icro-Can-I-jam

I am too confused as both are very similar spots

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM
(#5)
This is similar to the 77 hand adi posted but in this spot there is higher chance that someone calls if we jam especially when we have only a third of those 2 oppoents stack's ( in early position) there is a good chance one calls here where as with the 77 hand there is a good chance we take it down pre flop uncontested.. a much greater chance in fact. this hand is closer to a fold than that hand ever was.. you were worried we play multiway pot with medium pp and end up in big trouble but there is more chance here that we are end in multi pot and not even in a flip.. hope this helps adi!

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
(#6)
yes that hand.. this one is a clear resteal spot for me.. i would lean towards shoving 88 in this phase 1 game for sure.. i ve played phase 1s for last 3 months and i know peoples ranges extra wide as we need good stack going into day 2 if 88 is a shove then 77 in the other hand is even clearer of a shove.. very inconsistant answers

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:27 PM
(#7)
We have greater fold equity in the 77 hand by shoving. we can do a lot of damage to the other player's stacks :-)

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:30 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In this hand, there were limps, not a raise, so they should be hands from between 11-13% and 25-26% range (weaker hands). In this hand, the opps have also shown much more of a tendency to fold (lower vpip, lower aggression).

In the other hand that you referenced, the opp is playing a higher % of hands with much more aggression over time, which means we're more likely to get called.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 02:37 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
In this hand, there were limps, not a raise
Which hand are you talking about, there was no limps in both the hands ?

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 04:27 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
Which hand are you talking about, there was no limps in both the hands ?
Sorry for not seeing that due to how small the pic ends up in IE and case and point for why the hand replayer should always be included in each and every HA request.

These two opps are both tight and somewhat aggressive and shouldn't want to be playing hands against each other (or with us) in a multi-way pot without a monster.

The opp that flats, will be flatting with a 25% range and the majority of it will not be able to call a 3-bet, let alone in a multiway pot.

88 vs the initial player's range of 11% is a 46-54 hand if HU against them. The added chips due to the blinds/antes along with the 2nd player's flat makes it an easy +EV play to be in the hand against them.

We have not 3-bet, which makes our range even stronger than it is. If we assume that over time, our 3-bet range is half of our PFR, then 88 really isn't even in this range.. it's too weak, so our hand looks much stronger than it is. This helps to increase our fold equity and get this to a HU pot... if we don't take it down due to all of them folding.

Against the opener's range and if they give us say a 5% range, the only hands where the 2nd player is a favorite if it ends up a 3-way pot is JJ+. It's only +EV for them with a top 6% hand and since their initial range is 25%... to be profitable, they need to fold 3 in every 4 times and only continue with a top 6% hand.

If the opp that calls the 600 does have a monster, so be it, I'll fire up another tourney.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com