Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

66 in MP cash table

Old
66 in MP cash table - Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
In MP wi 6h6s UTG +1 opens with a min raise so I call folds round and BB calls.

Not enough hands vs BB for a read but UTG +1 has VP36/PF5/AF1.4 over 79 hands so I am expecting him to be opening with Ax Kx.

Flop comes 4c As 10h so no help for me at all, planning to fold to a bet from the UTG+1 as I expect he has top pair. Surprisingly play checks round to me so I check to see the turn for free.

Turn comes 6d giving me the set and completing the rainbow. BB opens with a bet of 6c UTG+1 calls I raise to 26c, was this a good play, even though I still felt the A was in the UTG+1 range but didn't have him holding AA.

BB re raises all in for 76c UTG +1 also reraises to $1.26 so I bet to take UTG +1 all in.

River comes Ad giving me the full house.

Would appreciate some thoughts on how I played this and where you think I may have got it wrong.

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
On the turn, I don't like the raise sizing, as to me, it's way too big and turns our hand face up. The flop was checked thru, so nobody should have an A. The lead bet here is most likely from a ten or a slowplayed two pair or set, as they would check the flop and lead a non-threatening turn.
I'd have made it about 18-20 cents.

Both players then raise and re-raise me. With a set, I'm absolutely getting it in here.

Since UTG+1 raised pre, they're on a tight 5% range, not a wider 36% range if they had called.. so this is likely to be Ax and more likely AT. Either way, if they have TT or slowplayed AA.. so be it, they may win chips here, but they'll lose chips to me in the long run by letting me see board cards cheaply where I can outdraw them (if they show a set, I'm immediately making a note on them that they will slowplay sets).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:01 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
The reason for the raise size on the turn was I clicked the 60% pot raise button as there were 2 ops in and you keep telling me standard bets although I still think it always seems wrong as to me pot on my turn is 25c so say 66% is 17 plus the 6c bet, I think it should be 23c.

Yeah I was surprised that the pre flop raiser checked his A on the flop as a bet from him would have got me out of the pot.

You wouldn't expect the original pre flop raisers range to be wider due to the fact he went for a min raise, whereas most people actually seem to go for 4bb in the UTG spots.

I have to confess I didn't reall have any idea what BB's range was until showdown, when he bet the turn I suspected the 6 had give him 2 pair but certainly wasn't expecting him to be holding a set.

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:05 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbo62 View Post
You wouldn't expect the original pre flop raisers range to be wider due to the fact he went for a min raise, whereas most people actually seem to go for 4bb in the UTG spots.
Unless the min raise is out of character for the opp (they have raised to 3BB or 4BB every other time), then I wouldn't adjust their range.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:09 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The reason I'd make it 18-20 cents here is that this bet sets up my river play, as it's easier to get it all in on the river as the first opp will have an SPR of 1 and the other will have an SPR of 2.

It also makes it so that my bet size is less than what is currently in the pot (more likely to get called).

Cash games and tournaments have different strategies. In tourneys, I consistently need to price out my opps, as each chip I'd potentially lose is worth more than a chip that I would gain. However, in a cash game, each chip is worth the same amount.. so my goal there is to get as many chips from the opps as I can and will take more chances with potentially giving the opps a slight odds advantage to keep them in the hand, instead of folding them out.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2014, 01:28 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
ok understand now, I hadn't really understood the difference in chip value between cash and tournament, I still somewhere near the bottom of that steep learning curve.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com