Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Played this really badly I think

Old
Played this really badly I think - Wed Oct 22, 2014, 06:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
BronzeStar
Hot $2.20 superturbo although I had satelited in via the 27c sat. So my real buy-in was only 27c.

blinds uopto 150/300 at this point I had built a quiet healthy stack.

I have 10s 10h UTG open limps his stats are VP30/PF10/AF3.2 I raise to 4BB. folds round to UTG raises and I call.

Flop comes 8c 8h As UTG checks so I raise 3,405 into a 6,810 pot and he calls.

Turn comes 9d UTG bets all in for 7,927 I think this is where I should have folded I knew villian had shown a tendency for aggression but I was behind to any A any 8 or pocket 9's, as he limped preflop an 8 or 9 could be in his range.

I made the mistake of calling, should I have folded to the turn bet as I think it would have been difficult to get out of it any earlier.

Last edited by Webbo62; Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:54 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 22, 2014, 07:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Webbo62!

As the blinds go up, my raise sizings will drop. At this level, I'll be at least down to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper and with these stack sizes, more likely have even dropped to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper already, so preflop I will raise to 960.

I then get 3-bet and you're missing a very key stat, the opp's 3-bet%. The main stats that I use preflop from my HUD are VPIP, PFR and 3-bet%. When an opp 3-bets, this gives me a better example of what the villain's true range is. Without knowing this information, this could be a call or a fold. If I assume that the opp's 3-bet number is half their PFR, then when I put these numbers in pokerstove, my TT is a 57-43 underdog and is a marginal play either way. If their range is tighter than this (smaller 3-bet number) then this becomes a clear fold. If their number is higher, then since I'm in position, I'd call (if I was out of position, I'm folding).

If I do call and see the A88 flop, the opp's line here with a check is either the nuts or a large pocket pair that is scared of an ace. If the opp is prone to fold to flop bets (another HUD stat not provided), then I will bet 1/2 pot and my plan for the rest of the hand is that if raised, I'm folding. If called, I'm not putting another chip into the pot unless I get a 10. If the opp is not likely to fold to a flop bet, then I'm calling behind here for pot-control and will re-evaluate on the turn.

When the opp shoves the turn, there's no way I can call this. They're slowplaying Ax, 88 or 99 and I'm in deep trouble and need to fold and look for a better spot as I'm basically always crushed.

The keys are the missing read info. This could be a fold preflop and could be a check on the flop... but the info about the opp wasn't provided.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 22, 2014, 08:37 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Ok his 3bet stat is 7.1.

Not sure I am experienced enough with the hud yet on postflop info. So am not using it to the best advantage but its also a big learning curve for me so long way to go.
But based on the fact I only have 71 hands of history with this guy his stats are
Flop CBet 67(3)
Fold to Cbet 25(4)

I realised after the turn bet was a big mistake especially having done so well to qualify to this tournament and building an healthy stack to make a stupid mistake of basically over valuing my hand. But if I was perfect I wouldn't be playing at these levels.

Old
Wed Oct 22, 2014, 10:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With a 7.1% 3-bet, I'm a coin-flip, so I'd call the 3-bet.

You don't have the fold to flop bet (fold to c-bet is only when we continue from being the last flop raiser).. BUT... it can show a key. 25% fold is very, very, very low. With this being the case, I'm checking the flop behind because the opp won't fold if they have an A or not.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 12:16 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Ouch! I mainly agree with John's perspective, but here is an observation that I hope can help.

I see this often enough playing micro-stakes Zoom cash games. This situation seems very similar. Even with a 7% 3bet range, it is usually exactly what it looks like: The villain is setting a simple trap using the top of his range. Someone limps UTG then re-raises, or even jams it all in pre-flop. Because it is an over-pair often enough, you can feel comfortable about letting TT go pre-flop. If you think/know that a player is being trappy, don't bother paying them off. Calling is fine when you are deep enough to set mine, but give yourself 15 to 1 odds effective. In that case, there is the potential for the trap to recoil on itself. Definitely do not raise the flop without the equity to beat an over-pair like AA. For example, semi-bluffing with strong combination draws - like both flush and straight draws plus the 2 cards to make your set - would be a good move. Otherwise be prepared to let go of the hand.

Unfortunately the best way to learn how to recognize traps is to be caught in a few of them. In some situations like this hand, in the past, I have generously punted my stack by 4bet jamming.

Best of luck!

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 05:43 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks again for the great advice as always.

Yeah I think I missed several oppurtunities where I should have got away from this but I'll remember next time

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 06:49 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
flop 2 bet and calling the 3 bet was fine. I think alarm bells should have been ringing before the flop even came as its not unusual to see people limp 3 betting with AK KK (less usual QQ). We all know people tend to become frustrated with KK with an A high flop so I wouldnt have bet at it as a means of pot control. I might have called a bet on the turn if there was no flop action but then again i would have probably folded on the idea that anyone with AK isn't folding, AA definately not, and KK i would expect a frustration call from the villan. Preflop was fine. Flop bet, debatable although it might have shifted a tight player off of KK but unlikely and stacks wern't deep enough to make it a viable option for a bluff especially since he already called the flop. Turn call, well you already know the answer there.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com