Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Very tough spot preflop with baby stack

Old
Very tough spot preflop with baby stack - Wed Oct 22, 2014, 02:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $3.30 KO MTT with around 450 runners. 10mins regular blind structure and 3000 starting stack. It also has $0.50 bounty on every player.

I was clearly shoving over the 2-bet but now someone just 3-bet jam his 22bb stack which should be like good hands it's just imaginary assumption (44+, AJ+, KQs)

What should I do here?

Old
Wed Oct 22, 2014, 11:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

In this hand, both opps are basically unknowns. Yes, they both have 30+% VPIP's, but with only 11 hands, it may or not be a realistic number.

For the initial opener, I'd go with a default range of about 15-20%. They're in mid position, so they may be closer to 20% than to 15%.

For the button, just about any realistic raise pot-commits this player, so I think their range is much wider than normal here. We have them at a 9% PFR and I think they're probably at least this wide here, maybe wider. For example, if it folded to this opp on the button, they could actually shove about 32% of hands profitably! With the min-raise open in front of them, this will tighten their range some, but they can do this wider than normal.

If I'm just up against anything near a 9% range (88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo) then I'm flipping against this opp and with 10BB.. I'll gladly play the hand. If they're wider, I can even be the favorite against them.

If I end up against both opps (using 15% for the first opp and 9% for the other to be on the conservative side) then I have 32.9% equity in my 99... which makes this a +EV spot. If their ranges are wider, it's an even better spot for me.

Since I'm +EV against either opp individually and also in a 3-way hand with them... I'm shoving and if the BB wakes up with a monster, then so be it.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 03:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
JWK why I think it's a fold, I got some data for you.

See if the button player is on the loose end then's its a flip at best, I gave him as wide range as possible:

But if the button is shoving normal range like a tight player then I am behind, I gave him legit 3-bet shove range:

* One more thing I want you to tell me plz, what if I had a stack of 3k or more like 15BB or more can we pass it and wait few hands to find some easy shove spots or will you still shove with 15-22BB in this same hand?

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 08:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

You really need to stop cooking the opp's ranges to try and get the result that you want. If the button is looser, they do not even remotely have the range you put in. Your 'loose' range is even tighter than a standard opp.

I have no clue where your 55+ AJs+ KQs+ AJo+ range comes from, but that's an abnormal 8% range and is even tighter than a normal opp.. that is NOT even close to a loose range.

For s standard unknown opp (I normally use a 10% range but will use 9% since that's the opp's PFR) is 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo. Against this opp, I have 46.5% equity.

On the button's stack size (re-steal stack), if it's a smarter opp, they should be at least at 15%, maybe even up to 20%-25%. If I put in a 15% range, which is 77+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo, I'm a 51.3% favorite. If they are over 15%... then I'm an even larger favorite.

If the opp is a tight player (not known and definitely not going with this from their 36VPIP even though the quantity is small), they're still 3-betting with about a 6% range, which is 88+,ATs+,KQs,AKo. Against a tighter than normal range, I'm at 40-60 per pokerstove, so it's a marginal play and at 10BB, I'll take a marginal situation since I'm so short.

If I had a larger stack (re-steal stack instead of shove stack), then I would be more likely to pass on this since I don't have a read. However, if the button was known to be looser, I'd still go, even at 20BB.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com