Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

omaha hi/lo question

Old
omaha hi/lo question - Wed Dec 18, 2002, 02:43 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
here's the hand, i am not questioning the play of the other players just my own i won, but lost $300

aha12877 dealt down Th Ac 2d 9d
lltoolj posts the small blind $25
aha12877 posts the big blind $50
babs7 folds
royw calls $50
tko14 folds
rggator folds
molson calls $50
getreal folds
meisterwolf calls $50
wacokid folds
lltoolj calls $25
aha12877 checks
>>>DEALING FLOP<<< [ 3c 5s 2s ]
lltoolj checks
aha12877 checks
royw bets $50
molson raises $50 to $100
meisterwolf folds
lltoolj folds
aha12877 calls $100
royw calls $50
>>>DEALING TURN<<< [ 4h ]
aha12877 checks
royw bets $550
molson raises $504 to $1,054 and is all-in
aha12877 calls $629 and is all-in
royw calls $365 and is all-in
royw shows cards 5d As 9s Kd
molson shows cards 4d 4c 7d Ad
aha12877 shows cards Th Ac 9d 2d
>>>DEALING RIVER<<< [ Ks ]
molson wins $139
royw wins high $286
royw won high with an ace high flush
royw wins low $143
royw won low with five low
molson wins low $143
molson won low with five low
royw wins high $1,219
royw won high with an ace high flush
aha12877 wins low $406
aha12877 won low with five low
royw wins low $406
royw won low with five low
molson wins low $406
molson won low with five low
Starting hand #11775522

should i have just folded if i know that i will probably end up splitting 3 ways?

I lost $300 on this hand

Last edited by comb@t; Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 07:29 AM..

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2002, 03:13 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Your mistake is calling the bet on the flop. The two on the flop should have meant an automatic fold.

You are drawing to a miracle card on the turn and even if you do get your miracle card any A2, A3, A4, or A5 have the same hand and any 26, 36, 46, 56, 67 etc take the high. Your odds of getting quartered if your miracle card hits is extremely high. Most likely one or both of your opponents have an ace.

You have little to gain here and a lot to lose. Even without the flush card hitting on the river all of the higher straight possiblilities result in you getting quartered very often.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2002, 03:15 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
You were counterfeited on the flop with no insurance: why did you call? Especially a raise, but actually any bet at all. You had no high and at best a draw to a share of low.

You were the BB so, OK it was a hand you had to play, even though it was mediocre (this wasn't limit: A2 isn't even close to an autoplay in PL).

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2002, 03:21 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
it was pot limit, and i was BB with no raise preflop (I would have prefered one)

Let's us another example:

I hold same cards A2T9

and flop is 3 5 4 (disregard suits)

and a turn of 2

2 still in and bet is all in 2 me, A and any of them i split, and i know i don't have hi hand, is folding wise?

or better question, if i feel by calling i win with low, but not hi, but feel a lose by splitting should i concede?

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2002, 04:03 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
The others said it...
On that flop you had nothing, and no prospects. Easy fold.

Chasing half a pot is bad in O8, in PLO8 it can get very costly.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2002, 04:16 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Agree, agree, agree. You should've folded on the flop. You may be up against wheel and 6-high straight already; and with a two-toned flop, you're very likely to get quartered should you make a low, or even sixthed.

As for the PL example, it depends entirely on betting patterns before and after the flop. You don't fear splitting with A-wheel card; you REALLY fear getting quartered by someone with something like A367. Need more information before pursuing that hypothetical further.

Chris

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2002, 04:53 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
In limit you may loose a bet or two when quartered (bad result)

In pot limit you're calling to get half or less of your money back unless its heads up. With two suited cards and 2,3,5 you must fold to any significant bet in multi-way pot. You will occassionally catch a few players running a bluff in this situation, but this is a costly time to play sheriff.

Pot limit O/8 is not a game for sheriffs. catastrophry

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com