Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Know Your Poker? - Question 6

Old
Know Your Poker? - Question 6 - Tue Jul 11, 2017, 09:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
WhiteStar
This is the latest of a new series of poker questions for beginners that will be posted in the poker forum based on the courses & quizzes here at PokerSchoolOnline.

Know Your Poker? Here's your chance to prove it! Simply reply with your answer to the question posted below.

Good luck!
PSO Prof

You are holding in the Cutoff. Two players call in front of you. What should be your standard play?
  • Raise
  • Call
  • Fold

School Pass tickets to players who give the best explanation of why they chose their answer.

PSO Staff

Old
Tue Jul 11, 2017, 01:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2011
umm what are the effective stack sizes ?

if were short I may elect to shove..but wait is it the bubble ? or is it a cash game?

if were deep stacked i may limp along can depend on my opponents so some % of the time I may elect to raise

i fthey are tricky I can find a fold on some stack sizes but folding seems weak for this spot in general

so it depends

Old
Tue Jul 11, 2017, 02:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
option 2 call

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 11, 2017, 05:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
There were two limpers? I guess I overlimp, because I've accidentally sat in the world's softest game, so set-mining should be quite profitable, but I hate 22 with a passion.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 12, 2017, 08:57 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2015
BronzeStar
What I have learned so far on here....through video or quizzes.....the proper play would be to call.....and if your opponents raise after flop and you didnt hit your trip on it....you better fold.....

Old
opinion of how to play pocket 2's - Wed Jul 12, 2017, 10:24 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2017
with you next to call and everyone behind u folding and two players reamaining to call in front of u, i would either raise 2 or 3 times the blind hoping to eliminate one of the two reamining players and taking the risk with that raise that not one or both of the two reamining players reraises. having a one on one with the flop to come has some percentage in ur favour slightly as does it for ur other player/s in hand though, after seeing the flop make the decision from there to weather u go with a bet or not.or other option is to just call and check, see the flop and hope you hit something good and then let other players lead with calls and you tag along trying to build a pot with out making to bigger raises to early in hand, then if u are confident and think u have the best hand then make a raise and hope u get a caller and take the hand.

Old
raise my pocket 22 - Thu Jul 13, 2017, 08:55 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2016
WhiteStar
definitely if two players called in front of me i will raise so as to lessen the cards that might have draws that could beat my holdings...

Old
Thu Jul 13, 2017, 10:15 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
Yeah, I call and fold to any raise.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 14, 2017, 12:00 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2017
Dont have one answer for this question

Old
Fri Jul 14, 2017, 06:18 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
The right thing to do is call. Noone before you showed they had any decent cards. I wouldn't fold pocket 2s incase you hit 3 of a kind. I wouldn't raise incase someone after me actually called me.

Old
know your poker - Fri Jul 14, 2017, 07:54 AM
(#11)
Since: May 2017
definitely ill raise to give a chance to clear the field and if possible a heads up would give my pocket dous(22) a bigger chance to win during a heads up..

Old
Cool
Fri Jul 14, 2017, 10:30 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
I would call hope for a 2 on flop

Old
FOLD!!! - Fri Jul 14, 2017, 11:56 AM
(#13)
Since: Feb 2017
I'd fold myself, because if they are calling odds are at least one of them have a pair. and 2 2 is the lowest pair possible and an easy beat

Old
Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:08 AM
(#14)
Since: Apr 2017
ChromeStar
Even though the cutoff is pretty much one of the best positions to be in cause you have a strong advantage of seeing how the other players make their moves I still believe if I was holding pocket twos the best decison would be to fold as any other pair would beat it and it is not a strong hand

Old
Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:50 AM
(#15)
Since: Apr 2016
I would call, you want to see the flop for as little as possible with a low pair like that and hope you flop another 2. If anybody after me raises, I would fold, flop turns out anything other then a 2 and somebody raises I would fold. Short stacked, deep in a tourney, I would shove all in, big stack deep in a tourney I would play that hand like it was AA, aggressive. It would all depend on what game I was playing, and where I am in the tourney, bubble, probably play it safe if I wasn't a chip leader, and just fold it right off the start.

Old
Sat Jul 15, 2017, 01:57 PM
(#16)
Since: Dec 2011
well lets see if I thought I was facing anything other than a large pair I am going to play 22 like it was AK pre flop therefore raise 3BB, decision after the flop or if reraised probably fold without trips and 1/2 pot bet with trips...

Old
Sat Jul 15, 2017, 02:51 PM
(#17)
Since: Dec 2010
If the read on my opponents is that they are tight, I would raise hoping to take it down right there and unless I complete a set on the flop, I would then be folding to any bet. If the opponents are loose, I would definitely straddle hoping for a set on the flop, if no 2 on the flop and no raise from either opponent, I would raise approx 1/2 pot to try and take it down. If called by either opponent, I would shut down any more betting on the following streets and fold to any bet made.

Old
i would fold. - Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:32 PM
(#18)
Since: May 2015
it is a pair of two, easy to have a better pair and people did bet before so I would worry about it.

Old
Sat Jul 15, 2017, 09:06 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar
Well in this case I would call to see a cheap flop and try to flop a set. Preflop I would put my opponents on Ax or AK, AQ, AJ or a pair. If my 22 does not improve on the flop I would fold and take the small loss but if my 22 improves and hit a set I would slow play trap my opponent and get the rest of both their stacks to a potential triple up

Old
Sun Jul 16, 2017, 02:03 PM
(#20)
Since: Jun 2017
Well I'm taking it for granted that this is all happening Pre-Flop since it isn't stated. But as much as I would like to go ahead and raise in this position. The standard Play for a Category 6 hand, in CO Position..... with all else being equal..... The standard Play would be to CALL, and continue collecting information on my opponents...........

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com