Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AKo from button $2 NL zoom

Old
AKo from button $2 NL zoom - Fri Aug 11, 2017, 10:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2017

here i c-bet, check turn . then opponent bet on river, i fold.
I think , sometimes i am getting exploited when i check turn( shown weakness) and villain donk bet on river.

most time i fold . few times i called when villain is low stacked(i think in micro level short stacked players like to bluff more) and see that they were betting with A+ hand etc.
I play in zoom table, many times i face new opponents and do not have any read about them.

how do i counter this?

Last edited by somen1991; Sat Aug 12, 2017 at 12:16 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 11:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I doubt there many 2NL players that are looking to exploit you when you're one and done, because they will generally be playing according to their own hand strength. That said, the bet flop, check turn line is pretty weak sauce, and is best used for spots where you have some better showdown value, such that you'll be able to call on the river at a decent frequency. (e.g. If you chose to bet Q9 on this flop, you might check back the turn). If you end up folding on the river "too often", it's often because your flop c-betting frequency is too high and/or your turn barreling frequency is too low.

The actual situation in this hand is a pretty tricky though. There are arguments for checking back the flop with this combo, as the backdoor flush draw and 2 overs means you don't mind seeing a turn. C-betting is also fine if you keep it small, but I think your range as a whole prefers betting big on this kind of board, but mostly with hands that have front-door draws (e.g. the flush draw or a gutshot like 65s) or multiple backdoors (like 98ss) or are genuine value hands (QQ/77/33, AA/KK, KQ+). AK is neither an "obvious" value-bet or a bluff. If you do bet it, you can obviously barrel on an ace, king, jack, ten or diamond. You probably need to barrel on some of the blanker turn cards too, but checking back on this 4 (which completes the rainbow) probably won't be a huge mistake. Just make sure you barrel anything that has 4 outs or more but very little showdown value.
On the river, there's nothing you can do except fold. Villain often has 65s, Qx, or a slowplayed set. He can have some missed FDs, but since you block some of those with the Ad, he's mostly betting for value. I think he has you beat as much as 85% of the time here. If you have any Qx that you pot-controlled on the turn, you can snap-call those. You probably need to call with 9x sometimes against more aggro players. The runout is probably better for villain's range than yours, so it's OK to fold a lot on this river. If it had come an overcard or a diamond, you'll have many more hands to call with, such that you can't be "exploited".

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 12:15 PM
(#3)
@ArtySmokesPs
on turn if there is any diamond or a face card (j, 10, A, K , Q) i would bet again. But with 4 i would like to check. if opponent bets on turn i am going to fold this hand.. my logic if i lost this pot , i would like minimize my loss here.

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 12:16 PM
(#4)
@ArtySmokesPs
on turn if there is any diamond or a face card (j, 10, A, K , Q) i would bet again. But with 4 i would like to check. if opponent bets on turn i am going to fold this hand.. my logic if i lost this pot , i would like minimize my loss here.

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 12:34 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2014
I check the flop and am done with the hand.

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 02:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I generally prefer to check the flop here with the back door nut flush draw. As played folding to the river bet is fine.

Some ways to counter this pattern are:

-Check back the flop more
-Barrel some turn blanks more
-Check back the turn (after c-betting flop) with hands you automatically will plan to call a river bet with. Arty's example of Qx is a good one. Check back some of your weaker queens on either the flop or turn allows you to call future aggression down and prevents villains from blindly running you over when you check.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 02:59 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somen1991 View Post
But with 4 i would like to check. if opponent bets on turn i am going to fold this hand..
If the villain suddenly leads out into you on the turn, I think folding is a fine option. Many players get confused by this line because it's so foreign in general (check/call flop, lead turn), but really you have many better hands in your range to call a turn lead with, all your top pair+ combos for example. So just fold the AK high is fine in this case imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 13, 2017, 03:31 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by somen1991 View Post
@ArtySmokesPs
That's fine. Just make sure you don't bet too many low equity hands on the flop, because then you will end up having to fold on a later street. If you're likely to fold on a later street, it's often better to check back and give up immediately, such that you lose the absolute minimum. At least with this AK combo, you did have several turns you could barrel, but didn't hit one of them this time around.

e.g. On this board, something like T8cc or A2o has so little going for it that I'd check back the flop and only put money in on the turn or river if I picked up some equity. I don't want to put money in the pot when there are almost no good turn cards for me. AKcc might have been a decent checkback too, since it has nothing on the flop, but it's still a decent hand and would like to improve for free, but definitely doesn't want to get x-raised and have to fold.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com