Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Bad Beat, or bad play?

Old
Bad Beat, or bad play? - Fri Aug 11, 2017, 11:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2016
In this hand I feel I got coolered. Curious what everyone else thinks?

Old
Fri Aug 11, 2017, 11:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
played well IMO. the thing to remember here though is we're going to lose 1 in every 8 times.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 09:50 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2015
No idea why Villain 9 is min 3-betting and then 5-bet shoving.

I actually like the large 4-bet sizing as it was that which induced the huge 5-bet shove.

It's a cooler. Any reason you are buying in for 56 big blinds only?

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 11:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2016
I bought in for the max, but forgot to top up on previous hand before the cards were dealt. Lol.

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 11:34 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Use auto-top imo. Apart from villain's min-3-bet, this all looks standard. Both players should be getting it in pre with those hands and stacksizes.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 02:47 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
I think our 4b sizing is quite large... a normal sizing OOP I like to use is 2.4x his bet which would be about .31c here. And that's for 100bb stacks, we are actually starting the hand with 56bb. The issue with the huge sizing is we are making it harder for our opponent to make further calling and raising mistakes. It's clear after reraising this big and leaving only .67c behind we aren't folding, we have a big hand. So he can make good decisions now. If we make it .31c to go then a call would cost him .18c more. His implied odds are .47c in the pot now + .82c behind for a total of 1.29 possible to win, or 7-1 roughly is his maximum implied. All his pocket pairs are not getting the right price to make this call, and suited connectors etc even worse. So a smaller sizing is not a mistake.

Aside from that, everything else looks standard. Like Arty said both players should be getting it in pre with those hands and 56bb effective.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 02:49 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRob View Post
I actually like the large 4-bet sizing as it was that which induced the huge 5-bet shove.
It wasn't our sizing, it was his hand (AKs). If we make a smaller sizing the money still would go in against this hand, as well as other premiums like KK/QQ. It's the weaker part of his 3-betting range where the sizing matters most.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com