JED raises $50 to $100
Todd_21 folds
BILY B folds
Gus F calls $100
fillmore calls $100
ArcticFox folds
biba folds
Eff5.6 calls $50

>>A bunch of limpers, let me see if I can take this one down.

Wiscer raises $1,000 to $1,100
JED calls $1,000

>>Surprise 1

Gus F calls $1,000

>>Surprise 2
fillmore folds
Eff5.6 folds
>>>DEALING FLOP<<< [ 4d Td 9h ]

>>I flop my set...I will bet out and maybe a bigger PP calls?

Wiscer bets $1,500
JED calls $1,500

>>OK here's the AK or big pocket pair?

Gus F raises $6,575 to $8,075 and is all-in

>>Surprise 3

Wiscer raises $825 to $8,900 and is all-in
JED folds
Wiscer shows cards 9s 9d
Gus F shows cards Th Ts

>>>DEALING TURN<<< [ 5c ]
>>>DEALING RIVER<<< [ Js ]
Wiscer wins $825
Gus F wins $21,175

>>Surprise 4

Gus F won with three of a kind, tens

I guess a good player says after the reraise all in, "I have to lay this down because he has a set of 10s"?

I'm outa here. I'm taking a break from poker, cause this crap has been happening way too much lately. My only regret is that it didn't happen on the first hand, then I could have been first out instead of 6th...I can't even screw up right!

Old
Sat Dec 21, 2002, 03:30 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
set over set is a killer

but it looked like you still had a few chips left or i miscounted

Old
Sun Dec 22, 2002, 12:21 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
I would not have laid this one down either. I would have thought straight draw, flush draw, overpair, A-10, 2 pair. Set over set always costs me a lot of chips.

Shane aka Jeff

Old
Sun Dec 22, 2002, 12:51 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
I would question your preflop re-rasie more than anything else you did. Preflop, you had perfect position to just call the raise, and a hand to win a huge pot. By re-raising, you gave one away and potentially the other had someone moved in against you.

Old
Sun Dec 22, 2002, 11:34 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
Wis, Nothing you can do. It is fate. You will lose this hand. And so will everyone else who is any good.

RG

Old
Mon Dec 23, 2002, 08:36 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
In response to an earlier post I worked out some probabilities on set vs set on the flop. You will be involved in that type of confrontation about every 3000 hands you are dealt.

Relax and enjoy the next 2999.

Old
Mon Dec 23, 2002, 10:26 AM
(#7)
Deleted user
When you have a set and there are no str8 or flush possibilities, only two things can happen. If you play to get some money out of this hand (proper play); (1) you make a big pot and win or (2) you make a big pot and loose.

With str8 and flush draws out, you know you are facing danger if you get called. Only thing you can do is take away the pot odds for the draw. If they make 'the big mistake,' you will loose if they get lucky. You want players to make mistakes because that's where you make money. There are no guarantees.

Unless you have ESP, set vs set (worse set vs set vs set, I've been in a couple of these), there will be a large change in chip counts.

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2002, 10:49 AM
(#8)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
I would question your preflop re-rasie more than anything else you did. Preflop, you had perfect position to just call the raise, and a hand to win a huge pot. By re-raising, you gave one away and potentially the other had someone moved in against you.
Maybe, but had I limped, the outcome would have been the same...we both hit our sets and IGHN.

I think I should have raised more, actually. Or just called.

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2002, 09:03 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
Maybe, but had I limped, the outcome would have been the same...we both hit our sets and IGHN.

I think I should have raised more, actually. Or just called.
Re-raising more, maybe upto 2X pot is certainly a good idea if you do re-raise. If you just call, you have perfect position on the flop with a perfect double through hand. Whereas when you re-raise you have the worse possible position on the flop should nobody move-in preflop, so if you are going to re-raise, then overbetting is a good idea into a big field out of position. I still think just calling is best, by a long way, usually, because of the hands value and your ideal position on the flop.

The outcome was the same in this instance, but what about those times you re-raise, someone moves-in and you have to fold. Say, for example, the original raiser had AA or KK and moved-in or whatever. You have just lost a chance to win a huge pot. If you want to re-raise big, then it's better to do it with a hand other than middle pair. Personally, I thought the original raiser made a terrible mistake by just calling your re-raise. He had the worse possible position on the flop, being between you and the rest of the field. He should usually re-raise or fold. 1k is probably too much to flat call with so many people behind him that could move-in, and terrible position on the flop if they don't.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com