Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

All-in against loose player!

Old
All-in against loose player! - Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:46 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
NLHE tourney, starting chips: 1000 late in the tourney. Fifty people started. I have 2800 in chips. Blinds 200-300. I am in sb position with 88. Table folds to me. I raise all in. The guy next to me playing very loose. Calling alot of bets. I really just want to steal, but against this guy I dont mind a call either. He does call with AJs and catches a J on the turn. The way I figure is if i win this hand i have about 6k in chips and chip leader now. I am not worried about ranking just trying to win the tournament. I just want to know if this was a bad play.

torax

Old
Mon Dec 23, 2002, 10:00 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Deleted

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2002, 12:19 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
Torax,

I'm curious, in this situation, as to how you feel the other player perceives you. Does he see you as willing to try to muscle the blinds?
If I were facing this player, I'd see him as, given your description, over-defending, as loose callers typically will. If you put in a minimum raise, as Aaron suggests, what do you do in the face of a reraise (though unlikely)? If the answer is call, you probably shouldn't have called in the first place, because you don't really know where you are in the hand; if it's move in,then it's better to move in yourself the first time round, since his loose-passive style doen't suggest a player who'll reraise here.

In that spot, I'd much rather move in myself- you keep the whiphand, and the onus is upon him to react. Of course, he could always have an overpair, but there are risks involved in getting out of bed in the morning.

Alan

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2002, 12:24 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
Depraved said:
Quote:
but there are risks involved in getting out of bed in the morning.
Stubbed my toe doing it this morning!

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2002, 08:34 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
Depraved, in the face of a reraise against this player i would have folded. It would have meant only one thing. Big PP.

torax

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2002, 10:27 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
the play was borderline could be either all in or pot raise preflop

lets work this out there is 500 in the pot 100 to call the bet making a pot raise 600 (stack now 2100) if the bb flat called the pot would be 1800 and you only just have enough to bet the pot on a the flop.

personally in this postion i would prefer the all in option for 2 reasons

1) bb image of calling with anything
2) 7-1 to flop a set 4-1 to make set by river with the likelyhood of 2 overcards going to flop and you having to make a tough choice on a flop of T93 (remember the guys image could have j9 or 34 or only a straight draw with you having the 88 his odds are worse than normal)

so IMHO the all in raise was correct

if you were on button making this play the all in preflop was a must due to the increase size of pot after your call of 800 the raise would leave you with 1700 and a call from either blind would mean you no longer had enough to bet the pot on the flop allowing players to draw to straights or flushes or even overcards

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2002, 03:22 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
You neglected to mention that the guy in the big blind had 9,000 in chips to your 3,000. Also, if he was playing very loose it was the first time ever. He may have been in quite a few hands but it was with good cards not loose calls.

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2002, 12:13 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
Great thread!! Especially Ironside for going to the trouble of spelling it out for us beginners. This helps me with the kind of thinking I need to start doing at the table. ops: I want to encourage more of these posts from our seniors. This level of detail is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Den

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2002, 01:43 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
Had 9k in chips after the hand! Had 5k before. And playing loose!

torax

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com