Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Should I have called?

Old
Should I have called? - Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:29 AM
(#1)
Deleted user
PSO $200 5K added nlhe

15 players left

I am on the button and have 40K, relative short satck at this point in tourney but a couple others are worse off than me. Blinds are 3000/6000 ante 1k

I am on the button and dealt 99, player in front raises all in for like 12K, I plan to call unless someone else calls in front of me.

The player to my right calls all-in, but he also has like 12k. The pot is now 36K....

Do i HAVE to call here? If I believe that one or both of them has overcards then I am a 2-1 dog (yes/no?), but I am getting 3-1 pot odds and I can call without worrying about being busted.

WHat do you guys think?

Thanks,

James G

PS - I suck!

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:40 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
what stacks do the blinds have?

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:54 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
Fidget,

Thanks I forgot to mention that... both blinds had pretty decent stacks, maybe 80K or more. If I called and one of them comes over the top of me, I would have no choice but to fold. If I call or raised all-in, I would be fearful of one of them entering the hand.

JG

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 11:34 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
All-in.

I'd try to prevent the blinds from coming in. The first all-in player could have anything. He's in huge trouble with the blinds fast approaching. The 2nd all-in probably has something, but something at a 7 handed table with one round of chips left probably isn't as good as 99.

These two are in pretty desperate shape and you could be way ahead. They also might have a hand, in which case you could be 1 to 4, but I still think you're getting the right odds.

The problem is, with only 2+ orbits worth of chips, you've got to get in there and gamble a bit. If you sit out an entire round, you become dangerously shortstacked and you want to have enough firepower to make people laydown a hand. You're at the stage where you need enough chips to steal a round with less than premium hands. Get your stack in.

Peace, Starrs.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 12:00 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
allin
and if one of blinds calls then u can make money beating them alone for the sidepot

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 12:07 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Deleted

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 01:15 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
i would fold in this spot...12k out of your 40k is quite a bit...fold and pick your spots to pick up the dead money with a larger stack.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 01:35 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
A call would be the worst option. It would just invite in one or both of the blinds. Of the two remaining choices (all-in or fold) I would probably go all-in with this hand in this spot.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 01:48 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
All-in or fold. I'd be inclined to gamble probably. It may depend on the 2 all-ins. Whether they are the type prepared to blind out waiting for a hand or not.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2002, 01:51 PM
(#10)
Deleted user
I'm with Fidget and Shane. All-in or fold, depending on your read of the players ahead of you. Do you think that the 2nd person would go all-in with Ax? If so: all-in. They are going to need to make a move quickly because of stack size and blinds approaching. All-in and a call by one of the blinds gives you a chance for the side pot of 48k with one of the blinds.
This is one of those make or break opportunites late in the tourney. You've got pot-odds. You've got a mid-pair. You've got a chance to pick up 36k to add to your 40k, and become a Big Stack. I think you have to go all-in here, unless you are sure that the 2nd player would only do this with 1010-AA.

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2002, 09:15 AM
(#11)
Deleted user
My .02 FWIW. Assuming no good reads then all in or fold, yes. Late in the tournament probably should start considering your tournament EV.

Given a wide range of hands the first player would have and a better range of hands for the caller, I put you at a par with the second all in, ~36% to win. You are betting ~1/3 of your stack to double up a little better than 1/3 of the time (not counting the blinds who will call more than 1 of 50 times). How do you play those 40K stacks this late against these players? Do you need to sacrifice 1/3 of your stack 2/3 of the time to vault into the money, or would it matter at all? Not knowing these answers, go with the call for the 14K positive EV and find out. :lol:

232,770,478,248 games 803.456 secs 289,711,524 games/sec

__________________ equity (%) _____ win (%) __ tie (%) _

Hand 0 (99): 36.1625493 % [ 35.73 00.43 ]
Hand 1 (AA,...): 27.8774291 % [ 26.87 01.01 ]
Hand 2 (AA,...): 35.9600186 % [ 34.86 01.10 ]

Den

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:44 PM
(#12)
Deleted user
I would personally go all-in here. You have to try and double your stack at this point in the game because you dont have long either.

torax

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2003, 08:33 PM
(#13)
Deleted user
Jim,

In this situation, I move in- unless the cutoff is playing ridiculously tight poker, he doesn't need a hand anything like as good as yours, and you want to shut the blinds out. This is bound to be worth it in the long run.

Alan

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2003, 09:56 PM
(#14)
Deleted user
Alan,
Where DO you dig up these 10 month old posts???..lol

8O
'Goddess

Old
Mon Oct 20, 2003, 11:32 PM
(#15)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokergoddess
Alan,
Where DO you dig up these 10 month old posts???..lol

8O
'Goddess
PG,

Was on a trolling expedition, though haven't found what I've sought so far.................... :?

Old
Tue Oct 21, 2003, 11:36 AM
(#16)
Deleted user
Alan, Where do you dig up these 10 month old posts? A trolling expedition? Ummm... ROFL!

Now that you FINALLY answered my post, maybe you could get to those 10 month old PMs I sent you? ROFL!

You are the Man Alan!

Jim

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com